If you’re here on our site checking out natural nootropics to try, you probably want to know about more ways to boost your brain. And it can be fun! With Games That Boost Your Brain! In this brief article, we’ll be talking about what kinds of games you can play that will maximize your brain’s potential. Gaming can get a bad reputation. But that doesn’t mean that games are all bad. Many are great for so many reasons. And improving your cognition is one way that makes the positives of playing games clear. So, what are the Games That Boost Your Brain?
Games That Boost Your Brain: Sudoku
Among some of the best Games That Boost Your Brain are ones that involve number placement and strategy like Sudoku. Sudoku is one of the original number placement games. This Japanese game involves logic and number-placing in the form of a puzzle. In fact, this game kind of looks like a crossword puzzle, but with numbers. The objective of this game is to fill a 9×9 grid with number digits so each column, row, and each 3×3 sub-grids that make up the overall grid (known as “boxes,” “regions,” or “blocks”) will have all the digits going from 1 to 9. Puzzles are set with partially complete grids. This is an example of Games That Boost Your Brain since it relies so heavily on logic and memory.
Games That Boost Your Brain: Crossword Puzzles
Not a numbers person? More into words? Crossword puzzles are a classic example of Games That Boost Your Brain. These classic “brain trainers” access your verbal abilities which make mental connections in your brain while also exercising your memory as well. If you really want a challenge, go for The New York Times Saturday crossword puzzle. This 15×15 square puzzle involves the goal of filling squares with letters and forming either words or phrases through solving clues, leading to the correct answers that all work together. The sheer amount of critical thinking that goes into busting a tough crossword puzzle makes them great Games That Boost Your Brain!
Games That Boost Your Brain: Video Games
While the previous two games are old-school brain boosters, you may be wondering about more modern games – like video games! Are there any video Games That Boost Your Brain? Sure, we could talk more about the other games that help your brain like chess or the similar Chinese game called “go.” But modern gamers want to know if their games are helping out their brains! Well, we can’t tell you what games in particular. But there is research to indicate that SOME video games can help your brain in the following ways:
- Increase Your Memory – Particularly 3D video games may be able to increase memory capacity.
- Improve Your Reading – There is evidence that dyslexic kids can improve their reading abilities through playing action games.
- Make You Smarter – Just in general, playing video games can make your mind sharper. This is not a popular opinion, by there’s a lot of evidence that it’s true!
- Increase Your Brain Matter – Simply by creating more connections in your neural pathways. This is specifically related to spatial orientation, strategic planning, memory formation, and fine motor skills.
- Relieve Stress – While stress relief isn’t exactly a brain boosting activity, it can help your brain function better if you’re not under stress. Even a simple game like Tetris can help relieve stress and open up more room in your brain for more “effective” mental activity! More effective than stressing out, that is!
Games That Boost Your Brain: Final Thoughts
As you can see, there are many games that can help improve your cognitive functioning. In fact, as people age, they are often encouraged to play games to keep their mental abilities sharp. So don’t let the haters get you down! Gaming can make you smarter and boost your brain’s abilities. Game away!