What causes low testosterone in men? Well, that’s what we’re here to find out today. If you’re a man and you’re feeling tired, irritable, weak, or just not like yourself, you may have low testosterone. But, when it comes to what the cause is, well there are several different causes. And, that’s a problem because it can serious affect the way your body builds muscle. In addition to that, it can wreak havoc on your sex life, because low testosterone often leads to a low sex drive. So, let’s explore what causes low testosterone in men.
So, when you ask the question what causes low testosterone in men, your first need to realize what testosterone does in your body. Testosterone is a hormone your body naturally produces, and it occurs in both males and females. But, it’s responsible for the formation of male sex characteristics, which is why you see it so often in relation to men. So, testosterone is responsible for things like penis size, facial hair, sexual desire, and muscle growth. Basically, you can’t grow muscle or feel that interested in sex without a certain level of testosterone. Now, let’s talk about what causes low testosterone in men.
What Causes Low Testosterone In Men?
Now, there are several different ways to think about what causes low testosterone in men. For example, you could think about it in terms of things that happen as you age. Because, sometimes, age is what causes low testosterone in men and a lot of symptoms to go with it. As men age, they lose more and more testosterone over time. Some experts put it at a rate of 2% per year. But, if you’re experiencing this low testosterone feeling in your early adulthood, rather than your elderly years, clearly something is wrong. So, when you think about what causes low testosterone in men, you need to think about your age, too.
Then, the next thing you should know about what causes low testosterone in men is that many of the causes are natural. In other words, they happen without anything you can do to fight it. For example, that could mean cancer, a tumor, or disease. But, we’ll get more specific below. Finally, we hope to shed some light on why you may be feeling so tired all the time. Or, maybe why you can’t build up lean muscle mass. So, let’s discuss the different reasons for what causes low testosterone in men below.
A List Of What Causes Low Testosterone In Men
- Tumors – Testosterone is produced by the adrenal glands in both sexes. In men, it is then regulated throughout life by the hypothalamus and pituitary glands. So, if a tumor develops on these regulatory organs, you may see a reduced testosterone level.
- Treatment Of Those Tumors – To make matters worse, if you treat those tumors on the pituitary gland or hypothalamus with chemotherapy, you can actually run the risk of reducing testosterone levels even further.
- Inflammation – Now, if the pituitary gland becomes inflamed, that can often reduce or even stop the flow of testosterone throughout the body. So, you’ll start experiencing low energy, a low sex drive, or little muscle growth, that’s another thing to check.
- Steroid Use – If at any time you use steroids to build muscle, that’s one of the main testosterone reducers. In fact, most people think of steroid use when they think about what causes low testosterone in men, because it’s one of the most common causes.
- Decreased Blood Flow – If your body isn’t functioning properly in any way, the hormones can be thrown off. Specifically, if blood flow to your glands isn’t right, testosterone can’t release at the rate that it should. So, that’s another thing to check when worrying about what causes low testosterone in men.
- Malformations In The Glands – Finally, if you were born with something wrong in your pituitary glands, obviously testosterone won’t release the right way. So, that’s another thing to check if you’re wondering what causes low testosterone in men.
- Obesity – Yes, being overweight messes with your body in general. But, it also changes the way testosterone is released in your body. Because, fat cells can actually increase the conversion of testosterone to estrogen, leaving you with levels that aren’t right.
- Miscellaneous Reasons – Finally, testosterone can be affected by your lifestyle. For example, if you’re a smoker or a drug abuser, you might have low testosterone. Other conditions like diabetes, renal disease, COPD, and high blood pressure are also thought to contribute to low testosterone.
Final Thoughts On What Causes Low Testosterone In Men
When you’re wondering what causes low testosterone in men, you may also be wondering what you can do to fix low testosterone. You should seek medical help for this problem if you’re struggling with erectile dysfunction, low energy that won’t go away, slow muscle growth, hair loss, anemia, or other serious side effects. Usually, a blood test will tell you right away if this is the problem. The main thing you should do is talk to your doctor to see if that’s what’s going on. Then, you may want to look into herbal testosterone boosters if one of your main concerns is building up muscle mass. We have one above that you can check out for yourself! Thanks for reading today!